The Ghost Fleet Murders by Anna Elliott & Charles Veley



In this installment, we find our favorite sleuths on the case of another traitor, and still on the hunt for the elusive Beckett. In a nearby coastal harbor hides a "ghost fleet" -- a fleet of fake ships made from wood and canvas that are designed to make the British naval assets appear more plentiful than they actually are. But when a lookout is murdered and photographic evidence of the ghost fleet goes missing, the Crofter's Green crew must simultaneously solve the murder and stop the photographs from falling into the wrong hands. 

Homefront Sleuths feels like coming home. This was a terrific edition featuring the characters I've come to know and love. I really enjoyed the teamwork and suspense, and this tale felt a little less convoluted than some of the recent stories. It seems that Harry is taking on more of a leadership role, and often seems more local-copper than Nigel. I'm pleased that Mr. Brown has recognized that Evie and Nigel work best as a team, and that he almost seems to be one of the crew with his more frequent presence. I also loved that Dorothy was featured more prominently and seems to be embracing her braver side. Blake and Katherine's new addition adds a ray of light to such a bleak time period and is such a great reminder of why they do what they do. 

Maybe most importantly, I appreciated that the ghost fleet was modeled after real-life tricks employed during the war. This bit of history was really intriguing and made me want to dig deeper. 

The Ghost Fleet Murders: ★★★★★

Popular posts from this blog

Down the Rabbit Hole - Peter Abrahams

Hope in a Jar - Beth Harbison

Behind the Curtain - Peter Abrahams